Woman wearing black high boots slips on an icy roadway during the day

Are Damages for Pain and Suffering Possible In a Slip and Fall Case?

Damages collected for pain and suffering are considered non-economic damages instead of economic damages.

Economic damages refer to the calculable losses you incur as a result of a slip and fall accident, such as your medical bills and lost wages.

Non-economic damages refer to the losses that aren’t so easily calculated, such as pain and suffering. Read on to learn more about whether it’s possible to recover damages for pain and suffering in an Indiana slip and fall case.

Indiana Comparative Negligence

In an Indiana slip and fall case, you may recover non-economic damages such as pain and suffering. However, the state follows a comparative negligence rule. As long as you are not 50% or more to blame for the accident, you may recover compensation.

Similarly, any damages you are awarded in a slip and fall case will be reduced by your percentage of fault for your injuries.

For instance, let’s say the court determines you are 15% responsible for your slip and fall accident. Any compensation you are awarded, including for pain and suffering, will be reduced by 15% to account for your own liability.

Slip and Fall Statute of Limitations

The statute of limitations refers to the length of time you are allowed to file a case for damages. In the state of Indiana, you are allowed two years from the date of the accident to file your case. If you wait to file your case after the two years have passed, it will likely be thrown out.

We Can Help

If you sustain damage in a slip and fall accident on another’s property because of negligence, you may be able to recover compensation. Don’t hesitate to reach out to our team right away to learn more about what we can do to help with your case.

Contact Christie Farrell Lee & Bell today with the details of your case by calling (317) 245-3709 or filling out our online contact form.